Monday, July 18, 2011

Learning to Trust Shadows

All we see is a reflection of light.

Depth, detail, angle, is all a function of light being blocked by physical dimension.

Yet, in painting, it's so hard for me to trust shadows. Something about taking black onto my brush and applying it to the white surface screams of ruining the painting and starting again.

Of course, someone once told me, you shouldn't aspire to create any form of art unless you're willing to start over....and over....and over.

I took the painting where it's at now and imported it to Photoshop so I could play with the shadows and then decide where I want to go.



The painting:

Original



Photoshop copies





5 comments:

  1. The angle of the jawline is wrong. See the twist of flesh under his ear as he turns his head in? That's what really stands out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His eye seems out of proportion to me. I give you credit though. I couldn't paint a stick horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're right. I think his eye's too big. I think I'll start over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fear not the shadows, for they create depth and give your subjects shape.

    The cool thing about watercolors is that if you add too much you can just scrub it off (or start over- whatever floats your boat).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are doing art. I hope your Mom tries a trip again sometime. I am never letting my Mom near our steps, again, however. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.