Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Love Remains, Despite Divorce

(Our daughter's little feet on the day she was born--one of the happiest of my life.)

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

The graduation and party went off well, and I got to be with all three of my kids at the same time, which does not often happen. It was a beautiful weekend.

Divorce adds an interesting dynamic to these get-togethers--old family and new family converge to celebrate a shared love of the child you're there for--in this case, my daughter.



I've been lucky that we all get along so well and aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins and parents can enjoy themselves together and enjoy each other. No one is left out. Because of that, my kids get to feel the huge amount of love that comes from having that many people who care about them all together at the same time.

I was impressed with how blessed my kids have been to be able to enjoy the love and seamlessness of a large family. They're all good people, and as I surveyed everyone there I was amazed at the big-heartedness of all present.

In ten days we have another wedding and family get-together on my husband's side. His youngest is marrying. We're getting really excited for this gathering as well. Lots of extended family coming to town and some of our out-of-town kids. It's going to be a wonderful celebration.

This will be his last wedding for his kids--the next ones will be for mine. When they do get married, if the graduation was a taste of it, I think they're going to be full of joy and love--a shared love for our kids that transcends everything else.

6 comments:

  1. It's great that the families can all still get along. It makes it so much better for the kids. Congrats on all the happy events in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, especially for your children, to have a large family with open hearts. Good times like these are the stuff of many happy memories ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations to the grad; there's nothing like being surrounded by loving supportive family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful graduate! You are very fortunate that everyone can act "grown up" about circumstances and these young people can have a good start.
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm very lucky. I've seen other situations that did not turn out so well and it's very sad. I attribute it to both being "grown up" and mature people and loving the kids more than ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great that everyone can get along, that's really important for the children. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.