Monday, May 16, 2011

First Horse Painting & Getting Home





We don't see my husband's family often enough. They are beautiful people, both inside and out, and so fun to be with. The bad weather, unfortunately, followed us from the Northwest--we arrived there as the weather switched from 100 degrees to 50, then we arrived back home as the weather switched from 80 to 40.

In the airport, as I was missing my horses, I was inspired by a picture I saw hanging in a shop and decided to spend my time during our layover sketching Cowboy. I had brought my computer (with pictures) and small watercolor and sketch kit I'd put together just in case the urge hit. Today I painted it in, and this is the finished product along with two Photoshop experiments.

This is the first time I've ever painted a horse. I loved doing it. My rope letters, however, leave a lot to be desired. I'll have to keep practicing. If any of you artists have a hint for me, please pass it on.

Though the weather is now 40 with wind and rain, horses shivering and altogether painful, there are some beautiful things blooming. My snowdrops came up today, only two months late, the tulips are gorgeous, and the Muscari (Blue spikes) have just opened.







And last, a picture I took right before we left: five of our horses sleeping together in the pasture.





Since the weather is so bad, I won't be able try out Cowboy's new teeth, but I'm getting quite hopeful that the float is going to solve the head bobbing problem. More on that later.

9 comments:

  1. The art is beautiful and my daughter (young artist) say so, too! :-) I LIKE the rope letters! We really had to laugh at the horses' reclining photo. It's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is great! If only I could paint half that good! I didn't get the creative gene in the family!
    The flowers are beautiful, now if only we could get some dry, warm weather to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Cowboy painting. In your image, he looks like a gentle soul. Would that be a good assessment?

    And LOVE the horses napping together. Now that's the type of image we never see, and it's just so charmingly peaceful! They are definitely soaking up the sun ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We call those 'dead' horses, as in dead to the world. At least they have nicer green stuff to lay on. All of ours got a good brushing today; piles of hair flying around for the great bird nests we will see soon. Love the colors in the spring flowers and your art work. Glad you enjoyed your trip.
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison--thank you and thank your daughter as well. I'll take that as a huge compliment from an artist to an aspiring one.

    Paint Girl--I feel so bad about your rain. It makes me sick seeing the pictures. You don't know how much I'm hoping for sunshine your way...more than I'm hoping for it for me.

    Joanne--if you picked up that he's a gentle, gentle spirit, the painting was successful. He's the gentlest soul you'll ever meet.

    Juanita--I understand the 'dead' comment. I'm such a sucker--always going out to wake them up and see if they're alive. My family laughs at me now, but I can't help it. Usually, of course, they're not lying together, and it looks much more suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job on the Cowboy pictures! And your flowers are beautiful. Love the picture of the herd taking a nap too. Hope the weather clears up for all of us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you're having great fun with your water colors. Good for you.

    I find myself checking mine as well when I see them laying flat out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Repetition is the key to mastery." You ARE industrious Linda! I Love your watercolors and your sweet sweet boy! I hope you'll keep up the drawing with me this summer and try my weekly drawing challenges. I'm envisioning a few horse themed ones right off the bat. ;-D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.