Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Temple Grandin



I'm probably late on the bandwagon, but have you seen the movie, Temple Grandin? My husband stayed home sick yesterday and we watched it together, and both of us LOVED it.

He's a great barometer for how good a movie is. Our system for judging is that we take away stars by how fast he falls asleep. Did he fall asleep five minutes into it (or during the opening credits), ten minutes in, half-way, towards the end, or, and this rarely happens, did he stay awake for the whole thing?!? Guess what--he stayed awake! Yay. Temple Grandin gets five stars.

On the other hand, I don't think our five stars are quite the accolade that winning seven Emmies was. (Is that how you write it--Emmies for the multiple of Emmy?)

The acting, the story--it was all superb. Claire Danes was no longer Claire Danes--she WAS Temple Grandin. It's an inspiring story--that no matter what you're diagnosed with--in her case, autism, if you have a wonderful mom--or support system of some sort behind you--you can fulfill your special calling. (I know a mom like this--her name is Laura, and she reads this blog every now and then.)

Here's a link to Dr. Temple Grandin's official site.

11 comments:

  1. I have been a fan of hers for years, and have 2 of her books--"Animals in Translation" and "Animals make us Human."

    She is wholly responsible for me taking up clicker training with horses, cats and dogs. Yes, it is possible to train a cat.

    I finally saw the movie a couple weeks ago, and it brought me to tears several time.

    She has done so much for both autistic people and animals--and is an inspiration for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. Thanks for the review. I'm glad to know you liked it and that it kept your husband awake. You could rate movies with Zzzzzzzs instead of stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this movie, but it sounds very inspiring. I like Once Upon An Equine's suggestion to rate the movies with Zzzzzs. Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Temple Grandin is an amazing person. Her book, Thinking in Pictures, was instrumental in helping me see how differently my daughter processes information, and I even identified with some of her descriptions. I think I'm on the spectrum too!

    Linda -- sheesh -- you're making me cry, and I'm at work! Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing woman and movie. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched on a plane to america and was blown away! loved it, inspirational woman.

    funnily enough having been trying to remember the name of the moivie so i could recomend it to others. Temple Grandin..of course-doh!!

    theres also an awsome book/ moivie on the same topic about a boy with autism who goes to mongolia to be cured. neat book written by the father...thinks its called the horse boy or something

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to look for it on the Netflix queue right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the movie too. What an inspiration she is, her books are wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds great!! thanks for the head's up...and the comment about the cat training is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had Dr. Grandin as an instrutor at CSU and feel very fortunate. Clare Danes really nailed her mannerisms! She taught me to look at things from the animal's point of view, literally - at their eye level. She also helped me solve an intriguing problem with my (then) newly adopted mustang. She was kept in a weird pen that could only be reached by going into the barn. It was dark in the barn and finally, Dr Grandin told me to make it lighter in the barn. Of course that worked, and looking back I think "duh"... she is so unusual and amazing, though. She's written many other animals books, by the way, well worth checking out.
    Also I am a clicker convert - horses, cats, kids, husband...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see you give this movie a good review. I found it awhile back on Netflix, and it's in my "queue." I wasn't sure how I'd like it ... Temple Grandin was just in Ignacio (south of Durango): http://durangoherald.com/article/20110325/NEWS01/703259931/-1/News01/Advocacy-all-star

    I can't wait to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.