Saturday, February 26, 2011

Quiet of the Herd

I'm thoroughly enjoying all the winter ruminations about horsemanship. What better time to read the thoughts of other equestrians than when it's below freezing, ice and snow packed?

This morning, I got a dose of inspiration from Annette's blog, News from Aspen Meadows. We've all talked about how the qualities of passive leadership would really be the qualities of an excellent human leader, as well. Annette takes it from human to horse as she highlights some of those qualities in this and her previous posts. Very inspiring.

Yesterday I played with my horses. Ahhh, what a life. I get to play with horses. It was cold, but the sun was shining and the horses were in the most delightful mood. I walked with them, chased them, teased them, had some fun. I hadn't gone out there to tape it, but I had my little pocket camera with me, so I captured a few minutes--as much as my bare hand could handle before needing to replace the glove.

This clip gives you a good idea of what my daily life is like with the herd. It's our little interactions that make the horse life special. You can see all of their personalities so much better from this view--much more realistic than the clips I assembled of them chasing each other around.

There's one thing I didn't capture because I didn't expect it, and that was Beautiful running full out through the snow, past her herd buddies who were trying to get her to go the other way, to say goodbye to me as I left the pasture. I had almost made it to the gate when I caught her from the corner of my eye running toward me. It may have been the first time any of my horses have ran to me like that without me holding some sort of food. I gave her a rub on the withers and a kiss goodbye before leaving. Does a horse care about a kiss? Probably, but even if she didnt, I do.

Quiet of the Herd

video

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. This post warms my heart, a dedicated horse owner goes out in the worst of weathers and has a brilliant time! Hopefully having loads of fun with your horses made you forget about the cold slightly!

    Thanks for all of the lovely comments on my blog, it's lovely getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to spend an afternoon. I did that with my girls yesterday, just hung out with them snapping photos and generally lovin' up on them. Til my hands got too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for mentioning my post! ...and I firmly believe they do care about a kiss. My husband's horse asks for them. It's quite cute especially from him as he is quite the aloof thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a horse does care about a kiss, it's all communication, and connection, that bonds. Thanks for sharing your day with us, and your peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful Linda! It seems like Beautiful is finally being accepted into the herd. We finally turned our Icelandic filly, Halla, out with the herd. Halla and Beautiful both seem to be in the same boat herd wise. You're doing awesome with Beautiful. She's gotten big and has filled out a lot since you got her too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Alexa. I'd love to see your Icelandic filly someday. I'm heading over to your blog to watch your video right now. Good luck this spring! Oh, and there's going to be a clinic at the Durheim place in March. I told your mom about it. If you want the dates and info, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe horses care about kisses as well. My horses here seek them out. Cool that Beautiful wanted to say goodbye. Interactions like that always feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kiss my horses too and I'd like to think that they enjoy it. My horse Erik always kissed me goodbye when I left the barn and usually gave me a horse hug. I know it sounds strange but he did. Beautiful love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet. I always make my 2 give me a goodbye kiss when I leave... I think deep down they really like it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I have a joke, he always says, "You've been kissing horses." It means I smell like the barn, but he's right, I do kiss my horses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words and beautiful video. You have a gorgeous herd! I love that you have goats, too! They are such funny little critters, aren't they? I'm looking forward to visiting often,
    Sue and the Crew

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.