Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Grass Is Always Greener South of Here

Do you ever get horse envy? I used to, but I don't get it as often anymore. I have too many of my own, and I don't want anymore, so I get horse "admiration" now. Let's see, I don't get saddle envy anymore, but I definitely admire nice saddles--the same with tack. I'm pretty sure, the only true envy I have right now, at this moment, is WEATHER envy.

Yep, I admit, the green-eyed monster struck me on January 25, 2011. It's common, even predictable, for me about this time of year.

Yesterday was the day that did me in, so to speak. It was cold, wet and muddy--all things I dislike. (If it's going to be cold and wet, bring me snow.) Then, to make it worse, I visited all my usual blogs, half of which it seems, take place in the southern climes. I read about trail rides in 60 degree weather and horses soaking up the sun....and it hit me.

I'm jealous!

Like Riagan for Maggie's bone--I think they have it better!

video

So, I'm going to upload this post, go in and put on my parka, my fur lined boots, my ratty knit cap and gloves, and slog through the mud to go muck out stinky, cold, wet stalls and groom mud-caked horses. Wah-Wah-Wah--that's the sound of me crying, in case you wondered.

Feel sorry for me?



(Today, looking back at the house from the barn.)

12 comments:

  1. Yeah - you've got it worse than us. We've got snow on the ground and temps in the 20s, but that's not too bad for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the snow at all--even the horses are happier in the snow. It's unanimous around here, we all hate cold, wet mud--it chills you to the bone, and it's down-right GLOOMY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel bad sometimes when I post about our weather. Our "bad" is pretty good compared to what many of my blogger friends are facing (including you). Sometimes I dream about living where land is cheaper so we could have a big pasture for the horses. And then I read blogs about shoveling snow and slipping on ice... and I think "maybe not."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, it looks a little yucky and damp in that last photo. We had 3 inches of snow yesterday on top of our already 2 feet on the ground, and it's snowing now, with 8-10 inches predicted by tomorrow morning!

    I watched your pups and did you ever notice what I did? The video is set up on your blog right beside Beautiful in the sidebar, and Riagan and BG have the same faces ... Their coloring and shading are so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weird! I think you're right! I never noticed that. Having Riagan is like having another horse, for sure.

    Good luck with that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you and ME, we're in the same shape. Why is it that the other horse bloggers seem to either have snow to the rooftops or they're riding in the 60s or above. Not that I want snow to my rooftop or even snow but I could use a little sunlight!

    BTW my knit hat is pretty ratty too! Do you want to compare? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sounds so pitiful in the video. Poor thing! I'm not a big mud fan either. We still have snow here in MN (we've had snow since the middle of November). It was -40 last week and it was 20 today (heat wave!). I have a major case of spring fever but wish we could skip the mud part.

    I nominated you for the "Stylish Blogger Award". I always enjoy your blog and can't wait to read about all of your riding updates with Beautiful this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rising Rainbow--yes, let's compare someday! It's funny because I do buy nice knit caps, but do you think they stick around? No. But the ratty one sure does. I can't lose that for anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikki--Thank you very much. I appreciate the nomination!

    My riding updates....yep, I'm kind of nervous about those--a good sign I have a lot of groundwork yet to do. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've got lots of snow again yesterday. Guess the worst part of weather is just having to deal with it. I'd like a few warm days soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! thank you for your comments to my blog and your kind words about my sister. It always helps! As I'm sure you know. You have a beautiful blog and I love reading about husband riders, too. Isn't it wonderful? Your words about Beautiful's eyes changing reminds me of when I saw our pony go from a filly to a mare. When I was a kid my dream playing horse was a Mustang who won races. :-) Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from Southern California.

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.