Friday, July 9, 2010

Summertime



My shipment of predators: (below 2 pics--look closely and you can see them in the bag)




The temps are getting hot here, so I'll be riding in either mornings or evenings--today it will be the evening. I had the stalls cleaned before 8:00 am today, too.

We got four kittens from Lea about ten days ago--they keep me company in the barn--as well as Maggie and our puppy, Riagan. It's a bit of a circus out there right now. (Haven't seen any coyotes since my brother started hunting them).

Summer is our time to put away hay for the winter, and this is what is top priority now. We'll call the alfalfa supplier in Waitsburg this week to see what his prices will be this year and what quality he got in his second and third cuttings--assuming there's been that many cuttings. Last year he brought up 20 tons at once and we used about 17 because we supplemented with grass hay. All in all, we probably go through 22 tons a year.

One last thought today--I want to highly recommend fly predators. This is the first year I've used them, and I was skeptical--but so far, I haven't seen a single fly in the barn. I know that they're going to catch up with us because, even with the predators, you're bound to get some flies--but I have to assume that the fly population is going to be greatly curtailed this year thanks to this new addition. Our predators are sent to us in monthly shipments for about $30.00 a shipment. I'm very happy with the results so far.

Hope you're all surviving the heat!

Happy Summer Trails!

10 comments:

  1. It's been hot here on the east coast too. It hit 100 this week, and was in the 90s all the other days. Storms predicted tomorrow, then back to the heat! The only thing that loves it are my tomato plants, which are now higher than their stakes. How do the horses like the hot weather? Or do they prefer cold temps?

    And curious minds want to know ... what are fly predators?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Joanne--and I added some pictures so that everyone can see. They are very small--like a cross between a gnat and an ant and they flies in their egg stage--here's a quote: "These biteless, stingless beneficial insects will never bother you or your animals. Simply release Fly Predators every 3-4 weeks around all manure areas. Unlike pesticide sprays that only affect adult flies, Fly Predators offer a natural, safe biological control that focuses on the pest fly pupae (cocoon) stage. The tiny insect lays her eggs in the pest fly pupae, “taking over” the cocoon. This kills the immature flies
    This pouch is enough for up
    to five horses for one month
    and costs only $18.45 delivered.
    and eliminates the next generation of pests." They're especially useful for horse people since barns and flies go together, but anyone with animals could probably benefit--or if you live around neighbors with animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add, I pay more because I get a bigger shipment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been told they are a type of stingless wasp, and I love them! I makes me particularly happy to tell the lady at our post office that she has just delivered a box of "parasite infected maggots" to me. But they really do work!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you pronounce your puppy's name?

    I'm really glad your coyote problem seems to be under control. That sounded awful.

    We're getting ready to bring in our hay for the year too. Hot work! But it feels so good to have all that hay in the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's interesting about them being stingless wasps. Weird! I wonder what the PO lady thinks of that?

    Andrea--we pronounce it like Reagan. I don't know if the coyote problem is actually under control yet. Our neighbors came over yesterday to ask if we'd seen their cat--and the neighbors across from us lost ALL theirs--mama first--then all her kitties--and chickens, too. Good luck haying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 文章是心情的反應~~祝妳天天寫的都是讓人開心的好文章哦!!............................................................

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.