Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Baby





I guess it's pretty official now, so I can make my announcement--looks like I'm going to be a new puppy mama. As all of you know, raising a puppy is about as much work (or more) than raising a baby, especially in those first few weeks when they miss their real mamas, but those are the moments where you really bond together, too, and earn the title of puppy mama.

We are so excited to get her and love her through the transition--introduce her to her new "big" sister, Maggie, and her new home. What an adventure this is going to be!

She's an Irish Wolfhound, like the one I grew up with from the age of 2-12, most of my childhood, so I'm very, very familiar with the breed, and LOVE it. Irish Wolfhounds are quite big, as I'm sure you know, but their minds, hearts, and spirits are equally big. My lab, Maggie, reminds me of an IW in those respects--I think they're going to be a perfect pair.

I'll have a few big jobs at first--one of which will be to integrate her with Maggie, and not ever let Maggie feel like she's being cut out. I don't want there to be any jealousy between the two. That's always tough in the beginning because a new puppy just needs so much more time and attention--it's easy to forget about your well-trained companion sitting quietly in the corner.

So, wish me luck--it really is like bringing a new baby home! We'll be getting her here tomorrow night.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats!! That puppy will grow into the size of a little pony ... she'll fit right in with the herd :)

    Puppies are so much fun, do you have a name picked out yet? Can't wait to meet her here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we grew up, everyone thought Mish was a pony--so that isn't far off, Joanne! I liked the name Kelly (from Ballykelly), but the kids don't like it. Kelly means Warrior/Defender--and I like it! Usually when my kids name animals they get stuck with some unusual ones along the lines of fezzy whezzy or something--and we're not going there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have never had one I have always thought Irish Wolfhounds were such beautiful dogs. Can't wait to see more pictures of your baby, I like the name you picked out.....bringing up baby, it'll be fun!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable puppy! It'll be so much fun...but yes, puppies are SO much work! I've always preferred to get adult dogs from the humane society for that reason...but then of course you get dogs with issues from their previous life. Puppies are a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Puppy Mama, she is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new puppy!! That is so exciting!! I love the puppy stage, well, except for potty training, but puppies are so much fun!! I'd have a hundred of them if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad and I will be there tomorrow (God willing) to meet your new baby. I'm sooo excited. Maggie is going to love her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your congrats! She is home now--I updated in another post. We love her. We did end up modifying her name though--it will be something like Riagan Fiona Kelly of.... or Blank's Riagan Fiona Kelly--either Laloba or Rohan or both? Not real sure. But the name we'll call her by will be Riagan--and Kelly will definitely be in there as a tribute to the lineage we love and what drew us to Laloba Hounds--Ballykelly.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.