Sunday, June 27, 2010

My "What Horses?" And Killing Coyotes

What a great weekend--and by looking at everyone else's blogs, it appears the feeling was universal.

As I've said before, it has been a weird spring, and not very horse-oriented. My husband made a big career change (not out of his field, but into our own business) and we got a new puppy baby. I didn't realize how those things would affect me--but looking back, they definitely changed my focus in life....temporarily.

I've really felt bad about my lack of interest in the horses. It left me wondering what I'm doing....what are my goals here? I have a lot of horses, but what do I want from them and them from me. Would they be happier in other homes where they're being worked more? Poor C'ya--she's ready to go, but I only seem to want to ride Cowboy. And for Beautiful, she hasn't grown very big--what will her job be in my herd?

Cowgirl's not mine, so I don't worry about her..and Red's old and retired, so he's doing exactly what he should. Shadow? He's pretty old and fat, too, and he's my husbands go-to horse--so no problem there. My horses are Beautiful, Cowboy, C'ya and the pony.

Thankfully, I had some inspiration today at "Mustang Days"--even though I arrived as they were packing up. I had to miss it again for my son's Hoopfest. During which, by the way, there was a gang shooting. No one was seriously hurt, but three people were grazed by a bullet. We didn't know it was going on until afterward. So, today, Sunday, I finally had some time to head over there after I got all the boys back on the road to Lewiston.

I got to see Andrea and her horse's Tonka, Bella, and Scout--they look great. I couldn't get over how BIG Scout is--and roaning out. He's flashy--that's a good word for it--a real pretty, sweet boy. Bella, his mother (the one who was pregnant when Andrea adopted her as a two year old from the BLM) laid down and slept right in front of us. Tonka stayed off to himself, a bit, relaxing. It was good to see them all in person. I've seen Tonka before, but I've only seen Scout and his mama in pictures on Andrea's blog.

I got to catch up with Alexa, too, about her horse Fox. What a great find he was--Cowboy's age and a been-there-done-that type who can give grandkids rides. She seems really happy with him, and, hopefully, we can all get together and ride now that it's summer break--get Shiloh out on Cowgirl, too--like SOON.

Oh, and then there's Lea--the head of the Mustang group who I've blogged about before. I didn't get to see Sage, her new Mustang mare, but I did make an appointment to pick up some new barn cats--females.

Which brings me to another issue: coyotes. They've gotten out of hand around here, killing three of my four cats. They got Girl Kitty, who I'd had for many years..I even helped birth her. The reason I know they got her is because Maggie, our dog who was a puppy when she was a kitty and so figured she's also part kitty, retrieved her for me and laid her at my door. We still have her mother and her mother was by our side and licking her face as she lay there.

A week later, they got #42 and Ezzy. And, if you've read my blog at all, you know how much I loved #42 and how much Shiloh loved Ezzy.

All of this has prompted us to go "Rambo" on coyotes. We bought a rifle with a good scope and my brother bought a rabbit call. Last night he called in his first coyote. I couldn't believe how it ran in to the sound of the call from so far away. I saw it hustling over the ridge toward our stand of forest at the back pasture.

My brother wasn't prepared, but he got the gun and I went out and locked up the horses...and when that coyote saw me heading back to the house he started coming in toward the barn where my brother took up a position to make the "call". He came right in at him and he had the perfect shot, but sadly, missed. I blame the scope for not being sighted in right.

I have no compunction whatsoever about killing these coyotes. They've waged a war on our animals, threatened Maggie and tried to kill a fawn in our front driveway--they've gotten way out of hand. If we're going to protect our future barn cats, we've got to win this coyote war. Thank goodness for my brother. He's coming tonight to stand sentry again.

Here's hoping....getting a coyote is much tougher than you'd imagine.

As for the horses and my "goals"...I'm still thinking about that and will be pondering it for the next few days. I went out and worked with Beautiful tonight and my feeling there is that no matter what happens, she'll always be my horse. I don't know what I owe her or what my goals are with her--I'll need to give it some thought--I do know we're good friends. The same for C'ya.

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't give up on Beautiful not growing yet. Chico (same herd) was puny as a 2-year old, but kept growing through his 5th year. He is now about 15 hands and super stout. Beautiful has a long way to go! She's still a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your cats. I felt like I knew them, and loved the photo of Ezzy "playing" with Beautiful in her pen. What a shame. I hope the coyotes, at the very least, get spooked by the guns and move on further out into the wild. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our mustangs are 5 years old now and seem to be at their final height and both are a lot smaller than our other horses, but that's okay with me! HA! Not as far to fall! That's too bad about your cats. We have seen coyotes here in the city run down the street! All of our cats have learned to jump up on our garage roof for safety, but I always worry about them and count noses every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Beautiful will probably grow until she's 5, but I have my doubts how much more. Her whole stature is small. That really stood out after seeing Scout. Either way, I'm going to continue training her like I would the others. I am happy to see that she isn't going up as much. That's the one thing I'd like to train her out of no matter what she's used for--even just in-hand stuff around the property--up is never good. Lately, I haven't seen it, thank goodness.

    Joanne--I agree--I think the shooting will at least scare them off for a while. My brother is a pretty determined and patient hunter, though, so I put the odds on him getting one or two. I think there's at least one of them that is way too over-confident and familiar with people/dogs/cats. Andrea was telling me yesterday that her friend's dog got Parvo from coyotes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your kitty's!! I know that is so hard to handle. I hate coyotes, and I was so angry too when my angel kitty disappeared. I am 100% sure that is what got him. Hopefully your brother can get a good shot at them.
    I am sure Beautiful will go through a growth spurt. I know some Mustangs stay small, but hopefully she'll grow up!! Chance is really growing. She is looking so good. I hope she gets to be at least 14.3, would love it if she ends up 15 hh or bigger though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your kittys. We've had problems in the past with coyotes and our cats too. If I knew how to shoot, I'd be out there after those suckers too. Hope you have much success in getting the ones after your cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Paint Girl and Rising Rainbow. So far, we haven't got a coyote. They're amazingly adaptable, and I think since my brother got that first shot off, they learned to avoid the wounded rabbit call. I haven't seen a coyote in a while. We did get new barn cats, though, so I'm sure they won't stay away for too long. For now, the kittens are locked in, and will be for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.