Thursday, June 24, 2010

Back from Vacation



(My husband and I in front of Yaquina Lighthouse on the Oregon Coast. I reread Virgina Woolf's, To the Lighthouse--so this was a fun excursion).



(The kids at play on the beach).

I just got back from a vacation to the Coast. It's always a mixed blessing, traveling--I love to be here at home with all my animals and the land (which I love--I am a confessed land-lover), but I also like to explore new places with the family.

While we were gone, my mom came up and took care of Riagan--a full-time job, I assure you! What a blessing that was. It takes a village to run this home--and so my sister was also here minding the horses and other animals. Unfortunately, one of the worst things that could happen, DID happen--the water went out again. They were without water for two days and one night. Apparently, a pipe broke in the well down by the pump (340' down) and it cut off the water supply. It was all fixed by the time we got home last night, but BOY do I feel sorry for my mom having to suffer through that experience.

My parents are real grandparents to my Irish Wolfhound in every way possible. They are partners in choosing her, purchasing her, and raising her! Now they are partners in babysitting her! My mom says she loved every minute of it. I know Riagan seemed to have loved it--she didn't miss a beat while we were gone.

Since I got my puppy, I've almost forgotten I have horses!! So much of my time and energy has gone to getting her adjusted/acclimated to her new home, I haven't had anything left to give. It's starting to change, though, as my puppy has settled in to the new home. I can feel life getting back to normal again.

There was another thing that happened while we were gone--my family says it was "Wild Kingdom" around here. They woke up one morning to find a coyote chasing a fawn--being chased by the fawn's mother. The fawn would cry out when the coyote would bite it. It sounds like it was all chaos--and it was right here in my front yard!!

Eventually, they found the fawn by itself in the tall grass--no mother around. They thought the mother didn't know where the fawn was, but in retrospect, it appears the mother hid her in the tall grass by our barn and horses, then came back for her that night. They guessed that the fawn was about a week old and too young to fend for itself. The next morning they saw mother and baby in the tall grass together in our front pastures--then gone.

It always seems like everything happens when we're on vacation!

By the way, this weekend is Mustang Days here in town. It's the same weekend as my son's Hoopfest, but I hope to go there and watch some of the demonstrations--hopefully, the competition on Sunday, too.

Happy Trails!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Linda! It looks like you had a peaceful vacation by the sea, the best place. Boy, lots of drama was happening in your absence, I'm glad the deer are alright. It must've been sad to see the fawn being chased like that :(

    We thought of you the other day when my husband saw an advertisement for a wild mustang adoption in New Hampshire, at a fairgrounds there. It's about 2 hours from here. I think he said the fee to adopt was only $25? Could that be? Anyway, I hope the horses all find good homes ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's cheap. I'm not surprised--there are a lot of Mustangs needing adoption and tough times to adopt them in--so, it's no wonder. We've had so much rain this year we've had to take our horses off pasture to keep them from foundering. It's crazy. Unfortunately, I think its been real tough for the farmers to find enough dry time to cut and bale their hay. Could mean higher prices this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had well troubles. We have four wells and I know it not only be a huge inconvenience but very expensive when they go out.

    We haven't baled our first cutting in the draw yet because of the rain. It's alfalfa and horrible because it's so tough now. First cutting always has thicker stalks than the next couple of cuttings but this crop waited and grew far too long). It'll be sold as cheap feeder hay or we'll keep it for our cows. I hope the next two cuttings get put up with no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad, Arlene--but I figured it was the case. :( (with the hay, that is).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.