Monday, May 3, 2010

More Spring Surprises: A Neighborhood Cougar

You can call Spring cold, hot, windy, colorful, green--but you can never call Spring boring! No way!

Today it's high winds that blew the trampoline away and had me scrambling to get the horses off pasture and locked back safely in the barn.

Last night Cia had a little gas colic. I gave her a small dose of Banamine and let her be. She was standing and comfortable by then. Still, my heart always sinks when I see them get their gastric upsets. Scary. Today she was back to normal.

I'm glad I brought the horses in, looking out my window right now--with gusts up to 60 mph--I can see a green baloon stuck to the horse fence and several sacks blowing through. The horses are on high alert watching the green baloon especially.

Also, there's a cougar loose in the neighborhood. I hope it has moved on, but a couple of nights ago it was threatening the neighbor's foal.



We had a great weekend with the grandkids here at the ranch. My horse-crazy grandaughter and I braved the rain to ride horses in the arena. Her lips were a little blue from the cold, but she still wanted to ride. She wants to be on horseback as long as she can! And, she's becoming more independent each time. The arena gives her a nice large space to work on her skills.





All the horses still have their Spring silliness, but now that I know about the cougar--I have to wonder what part of it is from sensing danger. And, what do you do about a cougar? How do you protect your horses at night?

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if it is the cougar their senses are picking up on. They must be so tuned in to that sort of thing. Would a cougar go after a full-sized horse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't like dogs. Big dogs anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't worry about the predators with our Mustangs - as long as they've got room to move. Mom's Jesse would stomp the crap out of anything that dared enter the pen. Even Bill's Ranger can get pretty scary when there's a predator around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your horse is better, and I hope the cougar's not a problem. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we've had coyotes but never cougars!! and coyotes are pretty timid so I've never worried. Keep us updated on the cougar! scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 「不可能」這個字詞,在聰明人的字典中是找不到的。........................................

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.