Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Plastic Herd and Crazy for Crazy Heart



Can you find one of your horses in this herd? The ones with the tags remind me of the Mustangs at the sale with their numbers.



I picked up this whole herd of plastic horses at the annual 4-H Tack Sale at the Fairgrounds. Most people were there for saddles, bridles and blankets, but me, plastic horses.



Our grandkids and nieces love the toy horses, so they'll be a great addition to our existing ones. I also picked up this great hat. It doesn't fit my big head, but it should be perfect for the kids after I clean it up a bit.



Has anyone else seen the movie Crazy Heart yet? My husband and I saw it last night and we both LOVED it. My husband thought it was the first good movie he'd seen in at least a year. Does Robert Duvall make a bad movie?



I went out and got the soundtrack today and have been listening to it all morning. You've probably all heard the premise of the movie--an old Country singer who's burned out and hasn't written any original songs in years. He's going from town to town playing his oldies but goodies to old-timers who still remember him. While on the road he falls in love with a woman who has a four-year-old son, the same age his own son was when he last saw him. That's all I'm going to say about it because the real story is in watching the performances--the complexity of the characters playing out together with the backdrop of good music. I think it was well-done--honest but compassionate, too. (BTW, after seeing Jeff Bridges in the bathroom scene I see why he won the Oscar--you've got to be a humble man to play that part!)

Here's a song from Crazy Heart--"The Weary Kind" by Ryan Bingham



Update on Beautiful: She's losing her two front teeth.

9 comments:

  1. That's a whole latte horses going on there, Linda! I used to have a few of those when I was a small girl and loved to play with them with my sister.

    Yesterday my daughters and I stopped at the horse barns at the college they attend, which has a large agriculture department. The horse situation seemed a little sad there, especially compared to the happy home you give your horses. The barns seemed dingy and dirty. A few horses were in their stalls, but not too spirited. The rest were outside in a couple enclosed pens, but they looked really overcrowded and irritable there. Lots of nipping and kicking going on in one pen, and in the other, the horses almost seemed depressed! And the whole time we were there, we didn't see one person, so there seemed to be very little human interaction. It left us feeling sad for these "academic" horses, and we wished the university spent as much on their horses as they waste on their basketball team :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have probably hundreds of plastic horses, all sizes from Breyers on down.

    I loved Crazy Heart too - I'm not always a country music fan but I sure loved the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooohhhhh! I used to have my own herd of plastic horses, but, alas over the MANY years, they have disappeared! I am on the lookout now because we have a grandson who will someday, hopefully, love horses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne--that's too bad--I wonder what they use them for there. I saw some brood mares a couple years back when I was getting hay. A guy in my old town used them them for invitro--basically, they're just baby carriers. They all looked a bit dead in the eyes. Made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate--you've got to save those horses for your grandkids! My granddaughters love the plastic horses. I'm not much of a "new" country music fan either. I liked the old stuff, but when it got commercialized it just seemed too "canned". The earlier greats--Dolly Parton, George Jones, Johnny Cash--even Garth Brooks...loved them! But this movie catches the basics--the true love of music. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl Ann--apparently, the place to go if you're on the hunt, is 4-H sales! Who would have known?!? It was quite funny today. Most adults were carting around serious items, but I was carting around see-through-bags of plastic horses and all the kids were following me!!! The girls were all over me asking where I found them. Luckily, there were still lots left, or I would have felt like the Grinch who Stole Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous you got to go to the tack swap! It seems like it's always the same day as our horse health clinic down here, and I absolutely can't miss that.

    Love all the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's too bad they're the same day. If you're actually looking for tack, which I'm not, you'd have loved it. The place is packed. You have to think fast though and grab it if you want it--oh, and get there EARLY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.