Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Day In Beautiful's Life



I'm glad I caught this image this morning because it's the one I see every day when I feed. Beautiful has developed this funny habit of rearing up so that she can see over the divider where I'm usually divvying up the hay into the wheel barrow. I'll see her head peek up over, with her mane flying in the air, several times before I get to her.



Here are some pictures of her as I pulled up to the barn and said hello.





This was my day yesterday with Beautiful:

1. Groom her and try to get the mud she somehow found off her coat. Some horses try really hard to stay clean--I have white horses that are still white, for instance. Beautiful, on the other hand, is one of those horses who TRIES to be dirty.

2. Worm her for tapeworms. Beautiful eats and eats, yet doesn't get fat like the others. She eats more and weighs less--what's up with that? Is she a "hard-keeper?" When I went out this morning to rummage through her manure--I couldn't find a sign of a worm! I guess I should just be happy that's she's full of energy and accept the fact that she may always be lean of build--or maybe a late-bloomer.

3. Clean Beautiful's Stall.

Here's Beautiful's day yesterday--

1. After I'm groomed I will go roll in whatever dirty spot I can find.

2. Eat and eat and eat and eat--but keep my girlish figure.

3. Mess up my stall so that I can keep my owner busy.

4. Rear up several times per day to challenge the pony and let everyone know I'm BORED.

5. Rip off gutters (if owner is foolish enough to put them back up), chew my wood door down a few inches, pull out plug in waterer.

6. Play with the barn cats--pretend I'm going to stomp on them and chase them out of my run, then sniff them through the bars.

7. Sleep a little here and there.

She was funny yesterday. When she saw me come with the halter, she ran away and snorted like she was going to make me catch her. Then, she got to the end of her run and started thinking and ran back to me. It's like she remembered, oh yeah, I'm bored and I like visits from her--why am I running away?!? She seemed all too eager to be groomed and petted after that.

15 comments:

  1. She is just a happy go lucky kind of girl! She is also very lucky to have someone love her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About her weight, she's probably still growing. I wouldn't worry too much, but worming her for tapes this time of year is a good idea.

    She's funny! Full of spunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy--She is definitely a happy-go-lucky girl and full of spunk, as you say Andrea.

    I was a little disappointed not to see signs of worms today. Does it sometimes take longer than one day to kill them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen signs of tape worms after I worm them, but I have to confess I don't usually look too hard. I seem to remember something about them being segmented and the pieces all come out really small?

    Eww. I just googled it - this is gross: http://www.horsebc.com/kvs/worming.htm But that is the ONLY photo I could find. Maybe it's not very common to see it like that. And maybe she doesn't have any? I'd keep checking, just in case.

    Has she had slight diarrhea, colic, or any other symptoms?

    I don't know. I always thought Tonka took more groceries because he was growing, but he's still the one who needs more, and has more digestive upset, even though he's coming six years old. I worm regularly. I'm not sure what the deal is there, unless it's all the thoroughbred in that herd. But that wouldn't explain the diarrhea. I am beginning to think it might be mild ulcers.

    Sorry for the novel! Keep us posted on the worm situation, I'd love to see pictures if you find any tapeworms in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful is so silly!
    My Arab loves to get dirty!! She'll find the muddiest spot, and roll, I swear she does it when she sees me coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's so cute! I need to worm ours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea---WOW--I had no idea. Pretty gross. I've never seen anything like that before!!!! No, she has perfect manure--just the right amount of moisture and dry, and has never show any signs of colic. She seems pretty darn healthy.

    Cheryl Ann--if you look at those pics, you'll definitely be wanting to worm yours!!

    Paint Girl--I think they do enjoy getting dirty for us--gives us something more to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Echo was rearing up this morning and bucking while Brad was feeding the cows. He gets excited just like Beautiful does. They need a play date. I wonder if they are related...they could be brother and sister for all we know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arlene--None of my domestic horses rear up like that. They always seem uncomfortable going up on their back feet, but Beautiful uses whatever she can and seems to prefer the height she can get by going straight up. She's pretty good at it, unfortunately. She was in the same round up as your boys, wasn't she? I'm sure they're related!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog from another one and am thrilled! I'm a big lover of Mustangs, though I don't own one. My parents own three and my little mare is the odd one out, though she's treated just like the others. My next horse will probably be a Mustang (unless my mare's daughter comes up for sale first). We've definitely, as a family, have decided that we love the smart, quirky little critters that are our horses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also just added my parents as new followers... they may rue the day they gave me their blog password :) Wait, I'm the one that set up their blog for them!
    --GunDiva

    ReplyDelete
  12. GunDiva--Do I understand right that your parents own three Mustangs? I'll have to check out the blogs. I've really enjoyed raising mine, as you can see from the pictures, she is different than my domestic horses. I love all of them--but this has been a fun journey with Beautiful--the process of taking a horse that is so wild and frightened of humans and gaining their trust has its rewards, and I think one of those rewards is a strong attachment and loyalty that seems purely Mustang.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some personality! Truly a beautiful horse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sally! Do you have a Mustang?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, my parents initially bought two mustangs from someone who had adopted them, but never worked with them, so as soon as his year was up and he got the titles, he sold them. Mom and Bill bought them and started working with them. Unfortunately, Mom's had to be put down after an injury, but she ended up with two Mustang-crosses; one from a local livery that was in the habit of putting down the "surprise" Mustang babies, and her second, also a Mustang-mix, from the same herd once he got to be too much for the original owners.

    Probably the most I've ever learned about horses came from those Mustangs. I feel like the odd man out with my Morgan/QH cross, but she's an easy keeper and gets along well with the Mustangs.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.