Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Window Arrived




A little side-tracking into the decorating mode again--

The picture--I mean, window--arrived! It took only 3 days to get to Spokane--now that's service!

It's pretty much exactly as described. The glass is a bit bowed out in some places, there is a slight crack in one of the panels and it needed some final cleaning and scraping. I spent about three hours working on it. The good thing is, the glass all seemed tight.

What I love about stained glass is how it takes on totally different stories depending on the angle and the light coming through or reflecting against it. And, the thing I love about this piece, in particular, is its originality and age.

It's old--and I wish I knew more of its history. I'm thinking someone who really knows stained glass could date the jewels and glass in the piece. I was told early 1900's from Hyde Park.









I like that there's room around it to still see out to the pasture. There aren't any horses in that pasture right now, but when there are, I like to see them.

When I started looking at windows (before I chose this one) I came across a really good deal on leaded windows from a 1905 house here in Spokane. They were practically giving them away, so I bought several and hung in my dining room and down off the patio--to give it the french door look without having to invest in french doors.





On another note--and the subject of my next post--Coyotes and Barn Cats. Have any ideas about that one?

I get so attached to my "barn" cats--I can't stand the thought of them getting eaten up by coyotes or caught by the Great Horned Owls around here. So, my husband and I built a cat house in our barn this weekend. Our plan is to let them out during the day and put them up around 4:00 pm--before it gets dark. They're pretty good about staying in the barn and mousing--so it should keep them alive.

I'll take some pictures of the cat house and write more about this on my next blog. I imagine it's an issue on every farm--and you probably all have some suggestions of your own about how to keep them safe.

7 comments:

  1. Oh! That window is even prettier than the first picture you posted! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The window is amazing - you sure made the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That window on your staircase was a large canvas just waiting for that stained glass ... gorgeous! And I love the way you hung the leaded windows, I'd never seen that done before. Very distinguishing. Now, here's the loaded question ... Any fancy windows in the cat house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone.

    A friend of mine once told me, when I decorated another of my homes in old windows, that windows are symbolic of looking to the future.

    I would add my own interpretation--that old windows are symbolic of looking to the future through the lens of the past. :)


    Joanne--I have thought of putting an old window in the cat house when I find a small one that says "CAT HOUSE!" I'll be looking. Right now it's very, very simple because I was in a big hurry to get something up. But it will be EASY to frame in a window or two in the future--and add more elements--like maybe an old, antique screen door. YARD SALES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful window!! Love it!
    Oh, I got all upset when you mentioned coyotes and cats! Only because I have a cat that's been missing for almost 4 weeks now, and I am pretty sure he was a coyote's dinner. I was so devastated when he didn't come home. I am so glad you are making a cat house, and keeping your cats in at night! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paint Girl--that is sad about your cat. I'm going to blog about my experience with missing cats today or tomorrow--hopefully.

    I'm going to be watching you and your new Mustang. I'll add a link to your site at my side bar. Good luck with that project!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely window! I'd love to get something like that in here to cute the place up a bit.

    We're missing a hen and a cat. We've seen a coyote. :(

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.