Sunday, May 3, 2009

Riding Old Red




I had a wonderful weekend with family, one highlight of which was sharing my love of horses with my horse-crazy grandaughter.

We've been putting her up on Old Red, the perfect mount for young ones, since she was about two. He's 29 and has done his share of instilling confidence in many a young rider.

This weekend was the first time I ponied her by herself. Last year I'd put her up there and then run along her side, leading him at a trot. I wanted to be there unless she lost her balance. Being able to pony her behind another horse was much easier on me.

There were about 20 family and extended family members here off and on throughout the weekend, and many of them got to go out and see Beautiful. Besides almost killing one dog who thought chasing her around the roundpen was fun--she was really sweet with all the human company.

There has been a lot of rain lately, which is producing some growth out in the pastures. It looks like a lot of hay is actually coming up--also some spots of dense weed. Our plan is let the grass grow to about four inches and then come behind and spray for weeds. I don't expect to get a large crop of hay from this first cutting, but as we continue to plant seed and spray, we should reclaim the land.

Oh, I also found ticks on the outside fur of Old Red the other day. I sprayed him and Cowboy, now I have to go out spray all the others. That seems to be the only way to protect them.

Hope you all had a great weekend, too! Oh, don't forget to stop by my Emily Dickinson's Garden blog--the drawing for the Teleflora Bouquet is TODAY!

11 comments:

  1. I love the photos. What a great weekend you must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet your granddaughter loved riding Old Red! What sweet horse memories she'll have, riding like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's lookin' good for 29. We kept a welsh pony here until she was 30+ years old...such good teachers!
    We have seen a lot of ticks this year, only on the dogs and not the horses. I hate them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old horses are good for making good (safe) memories. There's nothing more sad than a child who's turned off of horses because of a BAD experience too young. I will sing the praises of any old horse with a nice temperment. Red is worth his weight in gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, I have a random question about Beautiful. Which is she: dun or buckskin? It's kind of hard for me to tell from the pictures. She had a darker smudge on her nose, like duns usually have, but I can't tell if she has zebra stripes or a dorsal stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great weekend! I can't wait until our grandson can ride a horse! He's only 2 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kara--oddly, the BLM listed her as Buckskin--but maybe that was because she hadn't completely shed off. She has the dorsal and the stripes up all her legs. So, I consider her a primitive striped dun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, her dark face told me she was dun, but it was hard to see the dorsal stripe in your pics. Well, the red dun mare that we've adopted was listed as grulla on the online adoption page...so I don't think they always think really hard about what color the horse really is...and in that sulphur herd, they were randomly listing some horses as duns and some as buckskins, when they all clearly had the dorsal stripe and other dun markings...maybe they go by what the base color is? It seems like they are more likely to call the lighter colored duns (like Beautiful) as buckskins, while the more golden duns get called duns. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone uses "dun" in a different way, it seems. I think each breed has it's version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went back and looked at your first pictures of Beautiful and I can definitely see the dorsal and leg stripes there...sorry, should have just done that first.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.