Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Controversy in Waitsburg

This has nothing to do with my dear Mustang, Beautiful, but a little over a week ago, my mom and sister and I met in Waitsburg, WA for lunch and a bit of shopping. (Yes, there is shopping in Waitsburg).

Next to this quaint little building with a cat lounging at the cash register, no less--
(BTW--thumbs up on the cat at the register, Waitsburg--LOVE it!)

Here's the "quaint" building:



There was this--



Prompting me to ask the painters of the flag what it was going to be. "What do you think it should be?" Was their reply. Hmmmm...I thought. Good question. A bar? I dunno. Bye.

But then, today, traversing the Internet looking for information on the "Farm Sale" that will transpire this weekend in Waitsburg (just a heads up!)--I found this article, "Huge controversy over flag painting in small town". (Click to read entire, hilarious article).

Apparently, the day we arrived, Sunday, was the day the town was first introduced to this "little" flag, and the controversy that ensued was picked up by the Seattle Times. To tell you the truth, I didn't know anyone was worked up about it. I just thought, WOWZER, that's a big flag! And, I appreciate odd things, so I took a picture as we pulled away. Other than that, I would characterize Waitsburg as a sweet, sleepy, old-fashioned town--kind of like stepping back in time--ohhhh---sixty or so years. (And, I mean that as a compliment).

What do you think? Does this desecrate the flag? Destroy the investment ($600,000) in the downtown? Or, on the other hand, is it a sight-worth-seeing?

9 comments:

  1. I think the flag painting is neat and that people get upset over things like that way too easily.
    And I LOVE cats in shops. I will go back to a shop over and over just to say hi to the cats that live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, spoken by a true artist! I commented at the Seattle Times article--I said, "Go, Waitsburg!" Bravo to them. I guess I love benign controversy--and thought-provoking art. Oh, and the cat at the register--I'm with you--totally!! (Everyone should have one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't bother me, I think it's cool! I love retail places that have animals and cats around! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks pretty neat. Eye catching. Love the cat - there is one at the Rathdrum Country Store too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a sight-worth-seeing---for sure!! I do not think it desecrates the flag at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it shows honor, love, and respect for our country and our veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first impression was a simple, OH. Probably like many people. I don't see a problem with it but seems there's always controversy to be stirred up no matter what anyone does these days! When I read the explanation of why the flag was black and white, I thought it was a very honorable tribute.

    Thanks for sharing the article!

    The hardware store in the second picture looked much like a few hardware/feed supply stores we have in our local downtown area right next to the Ohio River.

    Cat looks darn comfortable! haha
    Leslie~

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite little pottery shop down the road has a cat sleeping on the counter most times when I go in. I love it! About the flag...I kept reading to find out what "they" were fussin' about...just the flag? Crazy people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not desecrating the flag. I love it and love it when thereare animals around stores. One of the things I loved in Key West was all the kitty's and chickens. Kitty Kitty's everywhere.
    Linda, I don't think your compliance check thing has come yet. It takes about a month after your year is up. And would you let me know about the little thingys you were going to get for our horseshow in June. I am feeling some better but still sore in places.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.