Thursday, March 26, 2009
Unexpected Scare--Welcome Relief
Tonight we had a horrible scare--our grandbaby, Catherine (18 months old), swallowed a bean and it went down her windpipe. She couldn't breathe, and they couldn't get past it to put a tube into her lungs. As a result, she was airlifted here to Spokane to Sacred Heart Hospital.
After about a two hour "laryngoscopic" surgery and us waiting in the hospital, (thinking that the more time they were in the there, the worse the outcome) they were able to get down with a special tool and remove the obstruction.
I can't tell you how relieved we are. It's a miracle--and just shows how quickly life can change when you least expect it.
Tonight we have the other grandkids here with us while Catherine recuperates in the hospital. She's on a respirator and under close observation for the next few days. But there is so much relief and happiness now--watching her siblings--all of us very thankful that we did not lose a precious life tonight.