Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Another Day with the Farrier



Beautiful looking at me. I tried to get her to keep doing what she was doing, which was running around bucking and playing, but when she saw me with the camera, she stopped and paid attention--like she always does.



Here she is looking at the other horses in the pasture who had just been released. They were running back and forth over about five acres, rearing, kicking at each other and having fun. Beautiful had gotten in on it, too. She is so much more tuned into them now that they're in the barn more. They also pay more attention to her. She's getting ready to join their herd and somehow, I get the feeling she's going to give them all a run for their money. She's smart--Better keep an eye on that one!!



Here she is checking me out again. Her run is now 48x36--but we're going to expand that even more. She has developed more coordination already just by expanding it that much. It gives her more room to run and play.



This is right before the farrier and before she was groomed and before her stall was cleaned.



This is what I have to look forward to every day. Mud. Ick. Yuck.

Well, another farrier appointment. I always report on these because they're so important to me. We trimmed her in the 12x12 stall this time and got all four hooves. She didn't want to give him her back right--as usual. He said this is the common one they have problems with--they call it the racehorse foot or something like that--because no one want to work with that side.

She is STUBBORN. She was going to go to war with him over that hoof. I had to keep moving her back in the original position. At some point she finally decided she wasn't going to get away with it, started licking her lips (a sign of acceptance) and settled down. I'm happy to report, she never tried to kick him, though I was pretty sure she was going to. After he petted her and left the stall she kept a real close eye on him for a couple of minutes, then put her head onto my arm like, Sorry, mom--I overreacted.

My farrier is switching us to an every month schedule now. He's going to do half of the horses each time and work with the Mustang and Cia a little bit every time he comes. He won't charge me for the little nips and tucks he takes on those two in between trims, but he feels it will help them over all, and him, too, to have more maintenance.

It will also help our pocket book. Trims are $40.00 per horse, so each visit was around $280.00-$350.00 (depending on if Cowboy needed shoes). That was a lot to pay in one lump sum. This will make the psychological aspect of writing the checks much easier. Ha ha.

9 comments:

  1. Oh those eyes, the way she watches you! It seems like she has a strong attachment to you already. I left a comment back to you on my blog, but wasn't sure if you'd be back for this post - Have you read the memoir Chosen By A Horse? Wonderful story, very moving. (Maybe next time you're out on date night, you can check it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've heard about that book before and seen it before--but I don't remember where I was or if someone recommended it. I just ordered it! Looks like a good one. (I probably should have gone to the library and checked it out, but then I may not have returned it.) Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long has Beautiful been playing like that? Echo has just started to play. I noticed he did a happy dance when I went to feed him the other day and yesterday he was racing around his corral and bucking while Wildairo did the same in his. I can't wait to see them gallop together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's been playing like that for a long time--but it's always in short bursts. She kind of catches or stops herself--like--oops, what am I doing. She is really a very serious horse, who forgets herself sometimes and acts her age.

    I should add something about the farrier visit the other day. There was something I did that may have contributed to her fear with the last foot. As he was walking around the stall, I slightly pulled her head to the left in order to disengage her from behind so she'd move out of his way a little bit. That seemed to tip her off that she should be afraid of him, and she went from relaxed to alert and cocked that last foot like she was ready to kick him. When I petted her eventually, she calmed back down and started working her lips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Linda, tapped in from Joanne's blog. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I let my neighbors keep two of their mustangs on my land for a couple of years while they were building... They were sooo sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    I love the picture of Beautiful looking at the other horses, she probably can't wait to join in! Does Beautiful like the cold weather?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kimmrich--Do you live in the West? I'd love to hear your stories about the Mustangs!

    Jen--Hi--I'm excited to release her with the other hores next spring. I'll post it on the blog when I do. She is really starting to tune into the herd. I don't think the cold weather bothers her so far--she has her winter coat. She's just hungrier--and still FAT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, I'm not trying to be mean, but that first picture makes it look like Beautiful has no neck! No neck at all, just a head stuck on a body! It's rather funny. But then she looks to the side and you can see that she clearly has a neck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, Kara. Are you saying my horse has no neck?!?! Just kidding. I agree, that picture distorts her, doesn't it? It's interesting to me to compare the picture of her at the very top--the one at the adoption, to now. The difference in the neck is startling. Where did it go??

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.