Sunday, November 2, 2008

Kissing Horses


Whenever my husband comes home and I greet him at the door smelling a bit like, well, manure--he always teases me by asking if I've been out "kissing horses."
Guess what? I do kiss my horses.

They like it. Only the old ones who were raised by men don't do it. All the others, raised by my daughter and I, or other women--love it.

They do it to each other all the time. You see them walk up and touch--smell--and walk away. It's a greeting.

Today I realized I didn't have hardly any pictures of Beautiful and I since I'm always the one on the other side of the camera. I need one for Joanne's blog, Whole Latte Life, where she's going to give me the opportunity to answer some questions about Beautiful and I--and Mustangs in general. I look at it as a great opportunity to share the joy of adopting a Wild Horse!!!

My husband obliged me--and we had a lot of fun. It had been raining, so I took out my umbrella and let Beautiful examine it. She wasn't too sure--especially since the wind kept blowing it over into her face. But when I asked her for a kiss, she put all fear aside and walked right over to me.

She and Cowboy are certainly my "kissiest" horses. I just love 'em.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, going to be interviewed by Joanne? That's great. Can't wait to read it!!! Sweet pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kiss all our horses. None of them object. Dixie loves me to kiss her. I have kissed Rusty but she isn't too thrilled with it. She is really Bob's horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, Lea--I bet we all kiss our horses! I think even my mom may have kissed Beautiful when she was here!! If you hang out with us crazy horse people too long, you'll be smelling like manure, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If those pictures are a preview of your interview answers, readers are going to be treated to an amazing post! You have a great bond with Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Joanne. That's the great thing about training wild horses--when they finally give themselves to you--and then transfer that to all human beings. When they give their whole trust like that, (something unnatural in many ways) it really makes you feel responsible for protecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Linda,
    I'm a friend of Joanne's and I just wanted to stop by and meet Beautiful. Beautiful seems almost like a person. She looks so gentle and I love the photographs. I will definitely be back to read more. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen--thanks for stopping by. Beautiful does have a sweet nature. Sometimes I think that she is more appreciative than other horses to have a place to live and all the food she can eat. She was captured and separated from her mother at a very young age, so she seemed to need a "home" more than some. She really loves human attention.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.