Monday, November 17, 2008

How Horses Heal





"You Never Know Through Whose Eyes God is Watching You"

Quote from the author of Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together


I heard this quote yesterday as I was getting ready and half listening to the t.v. in the background.

It made me think first of people. Whatever your ideas are about God, the Creator, Spirit--and I believe that's personal to each of us--you can probably relate to this saying. The idea that, at the very least, there is something spiritual at work in every human being and on some grander scale we are accountable for how we treat others--is a universal truth.

But then, as an animal lover, it also made me think about animals.

I remember back and every time after one of my animals died I used to go to my parents and ask, "Is there a heaven for animals?" My parents would look through their bible and search their memories--and usually come up with consulting their own spiritual understanding. They'd always tell me that the God they knew would take care of the animals, too.

Hearing that, it confirmed what I already understood--animals have spirits.

That's why I believe that when you do good by other human beings and animals--you're nurturing your own spirit.

And that brings me to the topic of How Horses Heal, since for any animal to heal, you have to approach it on a physical and spiritual level--there has to be respect.

I got a hold of my friend, Kay Anderson, in Winchester, ID who uses horses for therapy, and I asked her two questions: 1.) Why horses for therapy, and 2.) How have horses healed you?

Here were the answers she sent me:

1.

There are many reasons to use horses but the main one is that horses are so interactive with people. They are large powerful creatures so being successful with a horse creates a great deal of confidence. They are very much like people, they are social animals that live in herds with defined roles. They have distinct personalities and moods. What works with one horse often does not work with another. They like to have fun and they are curious and sometimes stubborn. They mirror what the human body language is telling them and when you change what you do the horse changes to respond. This allows children to learn, "If I change what I do--I change what I get."

Horses are honest and that makes them powerful messengers.

2.

Horses have been so important in my life that it was a hard decision to bring that part of my life into my work. Horses have always been where I went to heal even as a young child. Until recently my longest life relationship had been with a horse. They were trustworthy when many of the people in my life weren't. They were my friends, my confidants, and my first experience with unconditional love. They have given me all my greatest achievements and a reason to love life. Now they are my cotherapists and my teachers. Every horse in my life has brought with them a dream of a bigger, better, more exciting life, and in some way fulfilled my life.

Kay's website Looking Glass Horse

Kay is Eagala certified. Go here to learn about Eagala.


If you want to find out who you are through horses, Kay's ranch is a great place to start.

4 comments:

  1. "You never know through whose eyes God is watching you." What a beautiful thought. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, very moving. Inspires deeper thoughts about why some of us invite horses into our lives.
    Leslie~

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.