Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!




I hope you all have a wonderful holiday with your family this year. I have my mom and dad coming to join us--one of my sisters and her family and two of our children.

Unfortunately, there will be many in the family who can't be with us this year because Thanksgiving pulls them different directions. As families get bigger and older it's more difficult to get everyone in the same place at the same time.

I have a question--what do you do to bring the magic to the holidays? I've been thinking about that--wanting to make my home--at least for that one special day--a place where we can all take comfort and experience something of the hope and thankfulness I remember when I was a child.

I remember whatching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade--taking walks to see the Christmas Light Displays that usually start on Thanksgiving--sometimes going with the family to see a movie after a big dinner--other times watching a Christmas movie at home in the evening after pie.

Here's our menu for the day. Does it sound familiar?

Tom the Turkey
Green bean casserole
Corn
Deviled eggs
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing
Homemade rolls
Cranberry Sauce

Arbor Crest Riesling & Arbor Crest Cabernet
Shirley Temples for the kids

Sparkling cidar!! (oops forgot this for a second--have to go back to the store!)

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream
Pecan pie

Umm-ummm! Is that what you're having?

12 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am so jealous. I love deviled eggs, but I can't eat eggs anymore, I guess I developed an allergy in my old age.

    Other than that the menu sounds quite familiar!

    I don't know how to make the holidays special. I'm SO not good at "creating an atmosphere." I can't wait to see what others say here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I forgot to put Cranberry sauce and sparkling cidar--I just added them! I think we're going to go to the movies after dinner. Downtown Spokane is all decked out for Christmas with that gigantic tree and piped in music on the sidewalks--lots of lights. I wonder if Spokane or Coeur d'Alene does a parade. I know a lot of people go to Coeur d'Alene the night after Thanksgiving for the downtown lighting. That would be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or is it fireworks and lighting on the Lake at Coeur d'Alene?? Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how to make a holiday atomosphere. Our menu is about the same but I also make a cranberry orange relish. In fact I did that today. Also made the rolls today. For beverage we have hot spiced apple cider and hot spiced cranberry cider. No pecan pie either, apple is the second kind. I don't know what we will do after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the homemade food is the key to a good Thanksgiving, don't you? I mean, fresh, hot rolls--YUM!!! I forgot about apple pie. And, I've never had cranberry orange relish--that sounds excellent! If you have time can you share that recipe with us??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade food is definitely part of a good Thanksgiving! We serve it in the dining room, formal linens, pilgrim & turkey decorations adding whimsy! Then we linger over coffee & pie long into the evening, so relaxing!

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday Linda, much peace & happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne--your Thanksgiving sounds a lot like ours--I start setting the table two days in advance. We used to use the dining room at least once or twice a week, but since we moved to Spokane, we don't have as many big family dinners that require it, so we eat mostly on the kitchen table. I look forward to decorating the dining room table for this. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW--don't let the meat department tell you a 15 pound turkey is enough for 12 people. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, Your table looks so posh. I LOVE the color of the walls. That is a tastefully bold look.

    Here's what this vegetarian blogger cooks for thanksgiving;

    Roasted Tofu turkey,
    roasted with potatos, parsnips and onions,
    fresh cranberry sauce,
    stuffing,
    brussel sprouts,
    rolls, gravy.
    For dessert, apple and cranberry pie with whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Arlene--I have a half set table, but I like to do that so all I have to worry about on Thanksgiving is cooking and having fun.

    You should post your vegetarian Thanksgiving on your blog!! I would think people who are also vegetarians would love to read what you're doing. It sounds yummy! Take pictures of your Tofu Tom for us!!!! And, cranberry pie?? Wow! I've never had it before, but would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful layout! What time is dinner? I'll bring hubby! (tee hee!) Really, though, have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deviled Eggs! I'm with Andrea...JEALOUS! No one made any here.

    Your table setting looks ever so inviting :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel welcome to join our discussion--tell us about your own thoughts and experiences.